Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Are you married?

The random things that happen to me don't stop just because I moved to Lakeland. I went to lunch with a guy from my church this past Monday. I told my buddy that I wanted to go to a place unique to Lakeland. He suggested Diane's Cafe. I want to state for the record that I had the hamburger with fries and fried okra. It was off the chain.

We sit at our table and the waitress comes by for the first time. We order drinks and she walks away. She brings our drinks and asks us for our order. Here is where the fun begins. Dennis is ordering and can't decide what his two side should be. I jokingly say, "go ahead and get the okra, you know that looks good."
The waitress then chimes in "aren't y'all a little young to be married?" Unsure off what to say. I just look at her for her next move. I am expecting her to say she was just kidding or something. Nothing. She just look at me. Finally, she says' "aren't y'all both wearing wedding rings." I respond with "yes I am. But I am married to a girl."
"Oh, That's great!" She says.

That's great? She wasn't embarrassed or anything. In fact she conversed with us for at least ten minutes throughout our entire time at the Diner. I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with her ability to shrug off the possibly awkward moments.

Please don't let this post deter you from eating at Diane's. The food is great. The service is even friendlier. Trust me!

No comments: