Friday, September 28, 2007

Do I really like it?

I am in the process of writing a novel. I have always felt that the two most popular goals that people set and never achieve are 1. Running a marathon and 2. Writing a book. I have said I could do both. So with more time on my hands than i have had in years, I am writing a novel. I don't promise that it will be any good, nor that it will ever be published. But I am doing it!

I was reading on a ladies website yesterday. She was talking about various aspects about being a writer. She said "if you don't write a lot, don't say you like to write. This idea really resonated with me. I am in the midst of writing a novel and i would say that according to this definition, I don't like to write yet. It is still a chore to get myself to write on an almost daily basis.

As I begin to apply this mode of thinking to other aspects of my life, I am realizing that there are important areas and things that I don't like to do. Namely, spending time n the Bible. I don't get in my Bible on a daily basis. If someone asked me if I liked to read the bible, in reflex I would blurt out yes. But the fact that I only occasionally spend time in the word argues to the contrary.

So as you go through your day. Begin to think on the hobbies and activities that define who you are. The think about how much time you spend in/on those things.

No comments: