Saturday, October 27, 2007

The excitement inspires me!

Tuesday night at Quest, I met an engaged couple who who were attending for the first time. Turns out, this couple has lived in Lakeland for two years and never really checked out any churches. Two weeks ago, the guy, Jason, gave his life to Jesus. His transformation has caused his fiancee, Sarah to turn back to her relationship with Jesus. The events of the past few weeks has rejuvenated their lives.

This couple is an absolute delight to be around. We had dinner with them at Zaxby's tonight. We got busy talking and sharing stories. Four hours later, we parted ways. The inspiring part of being around them is the look in their eyes. Jason is absolutely lit up on Jesus. He is so excited to be a follower of Christ.

Admittedly, he knows almost nothing about Christianity and will not apologize for it. It is Jason's new-found passion in Jesus that causes me to get excited. He is eager to learn. He is going to buy a bible tomorrow. He asked me what Genesis is/means. Starting next week, we are going to start reading Genesis and move forth. The brother is hungry. His hunger is addictive.

His hunger has got me thinking. Am I that hungry? Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Why is it this way? Why am I less excited about diving into the word now that I have been a follower for several years? I know that I have so much more to learn. Why am I satisfied? I would quickly agree with you that the more I learn about God, the more I want to learn. And yet, I sit here also admitting that I don't read my Bible everyday. I Struggle to get in it a majority of each week.

Why is this the way it is? People have shared this same problem to me. I have been warned about it and yet, I still struggle with it.

I think the answer is found in passion. The gosh darn truth is that You spend time in the things you are passionate about. If you like to write you write. Golfers are found on the golf course. Movie buffs are in theatres. People passionate about seeking the face of God, spend time in the word. God's mouth, so to speak.

Now that God has blessed me with a new friend who is passionate to learn anything and everything about God. I get the chance to be Jason's scuba instructor as we dive into the Bible. I am so thankful for him. God is so great. He brings the right people into my life for specific reasons. He always knows what I need to keep me growing and challenged.

Pray for Jason and I, as we jump from the boat and submerge ourselves in the truth.

No comments: