Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Robert was his name, he was Jesus' brother.

Mandie and I were on our way home from Church last Tuesday night. We stop to put gas in Mandie's car. As I was washing her windshield, a stranger walked up and asked for a smoke. When I told him that I don't smoke. "Good for you" He nodded his head.

He proceeded to explain his situation and how he has been having a tough time. He asked me for help. My gut reaction was to decline his invite to help him. And can I just say that I hate that about myself. I wish I wasn't so selfish. Some one comes up and asks for a couple of dollars and I find reasons to not help. You would think that someone who has been so freely given to, would reciprocate in a like manner. Unfortunately, most times, I reject those seeking my help.

I spoke in a previous blog about how God has been calling me to action. True to form, after God has taught me something new or reminded me of a truth, He puts me in situations to act upon it. Lately, God has been calling me to love through action. So I am continually finding myself in situations to love others.

There I was, this dirty, scraggly stranger staring me in the face, skin dark and weather beaten, asking for help. I could barely hear his request because God was also talking in my ear, "I tell you the truth, whatever you have done for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." -Matthew 25:40.

By the grace of God and solely for his glory, I am happy to report that I grabbed the hand he stretched in my direction. I had the opportunity to hook him up with a footlong sub and some orange juice.

Before we parted ways. He allowed me to tell him about my Savior. How God has a plan for him, that God wants to be his ever present help in time of need. That God already knew his needs and circumstances before he told them to go. That God loves Him more than he can comprehend and has already paid the price so that they can have a relationship. He let me pray over him. Out loud, directly in front of the entrance of 7 Eleven. I got to claimed his soul in the name of Jesus.

After I said amen, I pulled him in close, stared him dead in the eye and said "I am giving to you because God has given to me. I want to help you know God's love."

He nodded, "I feel his love."

With that, I walked back to the car. Mandie was staring at me with that look that was said, "tell me everything." Robert walked off into the night. I told him that I would pray for him and I am asking you to join me.

His name is Robert. He is a certified brick mason that needs to find work so he can pay off some debts, get an ID and start his life over.

As you go through your day, be attentive to the people that need love. Remember...Jesus is their brother!

No comments: