Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Free Byrd

We had Paul Byrd speak at Converge last week. Now for those of you who don't know who he is, Paul Byrd is journeyman big league pitcher. Currently pitching for the Cleveland Indians, he has been in the big leagues for 13 years. Last year he had a great season, going 15-8.

When Durbin (college Pastor) told me Paul would be coming to speak. I immediately remebered a Braves game I went to 9 years ago. The Phillies were in Atlanta and Paul Byrd was pitching for the Phillies. The game is memorable for me because Paul Byrd and eddie Perez (then Braves catcher) got into a fight. It was the first live baseball fight I had ever seen. The entire week leading up to Paul coming to speak, I was making this memory into a big deal. I was joking that I had 9 years of aggression and anger built up against Paul Byrd.

Thursday night rolled around and Paul spoke. He did great by the way. I have never heard a speaker of any kind who is more real and genuine. It is his ability to share exactly where he is as a believer, husband and father that draws you to him. He is genuine!

Afterwards, I got to talk with him for a couple of minutes. Much to Mandies chagrin, I mentioned the fight bewteen him and Eddie. We were laughing about it, he was telling me what led up to it, all of the insider details.

Upon bringing up a time where he got in a fight, I then asked him for his autograph. Like a true champ he said he would. He asked me how I wanted him to sign it. I said he could just put his name. He was insistent on putting something more than just his name. It was in that moment that I was racking my brain for something clever. Something witty beyond belief. All I could think of was "no hard feelings," But he was done by the time I submitted my idea. He gave me the ball and I stuck it in my pocket. We said our goodbyes and I walked on.

A little later, Mandie asked to see the ball. I pulled it out and we looked at the inscription. It was at this moment that Paul Byrd forever cemented his name in the Jonathan Howard Hall of Fame. He signed my baseball...

To Jonathan:
Sorry about taking Eddie down!
Paul Byrd

That baseball is now one of my most prized possesion. Paul Byrd is a stud. Keep an eye out for him this year. Be sure to root him on!

No comments: