Monday, March 3, 2008

Dodgertown


My adventure in spring training baseball officially began today! I traversed the two hour drive to Vero Beach, the spring training home of the Las Angeles Dodgers. I wanted to be sure to get to Dodgertown this year, because it is the sixtieth and last as the spring home of the Dodgers. Next year they will make Arizona their home.

This past summer I developed a likingfor the Brooklyn Dodgers. Since it was the Brooklyn team that originally called Vero Beach their home, the history buff in me just had to go check it out. The once Air Force base, now spring training complex was awesome. Each of the roads and walkways are named after former players/legends.

The quaint stadium now holds around 7,000 people. My seat was behind the plate, on the 14th row. The Orioles were in town for the afternoon game. Their was a very festive atmosphere for a spring game with an almost capacity crowd.

The day was a huge success. It felt good to be a part of the history that has been and will be (until the end of March) DodgerTown.


No comments: