Wednesday, January 9, 2008

All the louder!!!

At the end of Matthew 21, we read about a pair of blind guys, who are sitting roadside, when Jesus passes by. Alerted of his presence, they shout out, asking Him for mercy. The surrounding crowd rebukes their shouting and tells them to pipe down.The two men hear the open rebuking from their peers and immediately shout louder. Jesus hears them and gives them their eyesight. Now being able to see, they get up and begin following Jesus. (Matt. 21:29-34).

This story leaves me very impressed by the two formerly blind guys. They are already held in low esteem. Some people believe they are blind because of sin in their lives or because of their parents. They hold little value to the world around them. I don't imagine that they feel too great about themselves. They get up the courage to holler at Jesus. They want to stop Him and ask Himfor help They gather the courage, yell out to the Lord and immediately the people boo. Overwhelming, the crowd rebukes them. The two blind guys get heckled! I can hear it now, "what are you doing?" "Don't you know who that is?" "He doesn't have time for you!" "You acan't talk to Him!"

In the face of public rebuke and embarrassment, the two guys yell louder. They were not going to be denied!

Why?Why didn't they stop. Why did they continue to yell, to call out to the Lord.

They didn't care. Plain and simple, they could have cared less about what others thought or said. These two dudes were completely driven by DESPERATION. Jesus was their only hope of gaining sight. Jesus was more important than anything in their life. They had a need and they knew the answer to the equation.

So many times I find myself in need of God. I begin to yell out. To call for Him to meet me. Then, rebuke presents itself in one form or another. Often times, it is what others will think. It's the people in the crowd who immediately respond to my calling out to the Lord in a negative manner. But unlike the blind guys, I stop yelling. I allow the people around me to slow me down. To choke out my seeking of the Father's face.

Why do I do this? Why do I stop after the first yelling spell?
Often, it is because I lack true desperation. I get caught up looking at things with the wrong perspective. I live life and begin to feel that I am making it. That I am earning a living. That I am doing well. That I am making a difference.

I must be just as desperate as the blind men. Without God, I am a wretch! I deserved Hell today and did not get it, solely because of God's grace and mercy. For this reason alone, I must desperately seek to stay close to my God, The one who saved me. So that is what I am going to do. I want to daily stand by the roadside and call out to Jesus. Daily confess that I am nothing without Him. And live in victory through Him, when He meets with me. Because you know what? That is what He does. He hears our call and He delights to meet with us! To shape and mold us to be more like Him.

These two guys needed their vision, what area of your life do you need worked on?

No comments: