Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A good start

I have Olympic fever! The events last week were awesome. Watching Michael Phelps chase down history was extremely fun to watch.

One thing I heard over and over again while watching the swimming coverage, was about the importance of a good start. It didn't matter whether it was an individual race or a relay, the fact remained the same. A good start would separate those who would win, from those who would not.

This same truth can also be applied to books. A book that begins strong is interesting and intoxicating. Mark Batterson's new book, "Wild Goose Chase" is one of those books. By the time I turned page one, I was hooked and extremely curious of what was to come.

Batterson's style is extremely easy to read and understand. It's not work to spend time reading his book. He does a fantastic job of combining theological ideas with daily application. This book serves as a place where the theological rubber meets the road of life.

The premise of the book is a challenge to live a life led by the Holy Spirit. To desire the spirit so much that you adventurously pursue it everyday. Wherever it leads, you follow. Batterson also details six traps, or cages that we find ourselves in that keep us from chasing the Holy Spirit.

"Wild Goose Chase" starts off running. It was the first chapter that not only caught my attention, but it helped me realize that I am in need of some Holy Spirit chasing myself. A couple of ideas that stuck out to me and prodded at my spirit were:
  • "Intellectual analysis usually leads to spiritual paralysis."
  • "Circumstantial uncertainty goes by another name: Adventure"
  • "Jesus dies to make you dangerous."

"Wild Goose Chase" hits stores today. It is a great read and I recommend it to you. Below I will list several links where you can get your hands on a copy.

http://chasethegoose.com

http://markbatterson.com

http://amazon.com

Much like swimming, your spiritual life is greatly influenced by the start. But there is a glaring difference between the two. If you blow the start at the Olympics, you may never get another chance. If you blow the start in your spiritual walk, you may lose that time, but you can start again. Father God will help your start anew when you ask for forgiveness. Don't waste another day. Start strong today!