Thursday, February 21, 2008

John B. Handy

My Bible study group met downtown at Palace Pizza last night. We were sitting in the outdoor seating, enjoying the cool temps. Halfway through out time, we had an unexpected visitor. His name is John B. Handy and his occupation is being homeless. Absolutely filthy and stinking with an overwhelming stench of alcohol, we invited John to join us.

He grabbed his bible and took the open seat next to me. For the next twenty minutes he told us how we were wrong, had little faith and how he couldn't believe that God loved him no matter what he did, because he did so many horrible things.

Meanwhile, the table next to us seated a woman who professed to be a christian, with her boyfriend, who is an ordained agnostic minister. When the girlfriend said he wasn't a minister. He said, "Yes I am. I received the certification in Chicago that lets me marry people." She rolled her eyes and tried to buy John some pizza. As if that would appease him and would leave us alone.

I found myself being uncomfortable in the midst of the scene. A strange homeless guy to my right. A God rejecting minister to my left. I felt very stuck, unsure of what to say or do. Both sides wanted to argue and all I could think of was love. I was sitting there trying trying to figure out how to love both these people.

By the time we left Palace Pizza. We had prayed over John and explained why we study the Bible to the Minister, who didn't want to argue our stance. He was just curious.

God is faithful! We didn't preach at either one. We didn't cast judgment on either one. We listened and loved on both of them. I learned that I am way too comfortable. The moment I found myself between the homelss and Agnostic, I was ready to pack up and leave. But that is excatly where I need to be. Jesus came for the Sick and hurting. Not to be served, but to serve.

I challenge you to find places you know you will be uncomfortable. I can almost promise you it will be outside of your church pew.

No comments: