Monday, September 1, 2008

Greenside Bunker

Today was a great labor day! Mostly because I didn't labor. Instead I hit the links with three buddies from church. We played the prestigious Bridgewater Golf Course here in lakeland. Normally $60 bucks per round, we played for $20, thanks to Golfnow.com.

The entire day was great. The sun decided to come out and play. The course wasn't crowded at all. I played very well, even though I had not played in a while. I shot a straight up 77. Honest! You can ask my buddies.

The course was in fantastic shape. It's a links style course, similar to what you would find in Europe. One characteristic that was true of the links style was the bunkering. There were pot bunkers everywhere. I mean deep, dark bunkers. I had to play a shot out backwards, away from the hole. It was intense.

The only downer of the day was the lack of pictures on the course. The score card did not have any pictures and there were no helps at the tee boxes. We were forced to play the course blindly and unfortunately, this came into play a few times. It was your best guess on where to position your ball and a couple of times we hit what we thought were quality shots, only to discover they had run through a dog leg into the rough. It was hard to imagine that a course that charges $60 per round, can't supply some pictures.

Other than the lack of tutorials, we had a great experience. Thank you Lord for beautiful golf courses!