Saturday, May 16, 2009

Up Close & Personal

I went to the Rays game last night with a couple of buddies from church. JD got tickets from work and we sat in the best seats I have ever had. We were on the 1st row, in the first seats just past the Rays dugout. We were in the middle of all of the action. I leaned over the wall and touched the astroturf.

It was a true blasty blast for a nosebleed heckler like myself, because we sat close enough to the 1st base umpire that he could hear me. I rode him like he wasmy prize winning horse in the Kentucky Derby. My voice is gone and my throat is swollen from all of the yelling, but I gave him a hard time all night. For the record, he only missed only one call. And I didn't use any foul language, and only through my glove and hat a couple of times.

Despite our prime position, we only had ONE opportunity for a foul ball. Kevin got it, but gave it to a girl because he thought it hit her. Unbelievable!

We managed to make it on TV twice and I made all kinds of friends, apparently due to my antics. When the game was over, people came up to me and congratulated me on "getting in the head" of the ump. A couple of security guards said I need to come back more often. I told the guard "I think the ump knew I was here." He laughed and said "the entire right side of he ballpark knew you were here."

On top of all that fun, the Rays won! They were down 7-0 after the 4th inning, but they clawed their way back and BJ Upton hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth.

It was a good night.
Thanks JD!