Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Are you really good

Each day, as I walk the halls of the main office at the Sheriff's office, I constantly exchange pleasantries with co-workers. "Mornin," Good afternoon," and "how are you?" are some of my favorites. If not careful, I always answer the last question with a resounding "great!" But if I get honest, I don't always feel great. I just don't want to let on that something may be going on or that I am less than good.

So that got me thinking, do other people do the same thing? I believe the answer is an overwhelming yes. And that begs the question, why?

First conclusion: Asking how someone is doing is many times a formality, not genuine interest. We don't answer honestly because when we do people look at you like they want to poke their eye out. Our culture wants to appear to be nice without the effort required.

Second conclusion: Staying surface level can cause you to miss out on blessings. This morning, a worker friend of mine asked me how I was, to which I almost blurted fine, but I realized that I wasn't fine; actually, I felt a little down, so I answered a "little down." She stopped what she was doing and proceeded to bless my socks off. Her encouragement put my focus back on God (away from me) and completely changed my frame of mind for the rest of the day.

So my encouragement to you is to be genuine. When you ask someone how they are doing, mean it. And when you are asked the same question, answer honestly. You never know how God will utilize that short exchange.