Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Eye of the Tiger

Well done Tiger Woods...Well Done! Tiger won his third U.S. Open yesterday, that makes 14 majors.And I love it. He could win every tournament and I would still cheer for him to win. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's because I know that he will be the greatest golfer I will ever see and I want to see him break the all-time records. This is probably why people don't mind that he destroys the other players of today. It's almost understood that he is playing against the records set by Nicklaus and other greats, not against the current PGA tour players.

This win was even greater because of his recovering knee. Only two months from a knee surgery and he wins after playing 91 holes. What a stud. Some have suggested that he was faking a bit to create better theatre. To that, I say, "no way." He grimaced and winced after good shots also. Thursday afternoon, on the 18th hole, he first grimaced in a major way and limped off the tee box. The drive was 300+ in the fairway. Continually through the week, he hit good shots and limped off the tee. The announcers even said that you couldn't tell where his shot was going solely on his facial expressions. What a gutsy performance.

That said, I was a little sad for Rocco Mediate. What a great run! His attitude and guts to stand toe to toe with the greatest deserves high praise. I would have been completely fine with him winning.

The 18 hole hole playoff was sensational. That is not always the case with full round playoffs. I was glued to my seat. Good job Tiger and Rocco!

Oh, how I love the U.S. Open!

No comments: