Thursday, August 20, 2009

BP Magic

This past weekend, I went to a couple of Braves games. My brother drove in with a couple of friends from Oklahoma, and the parents came up from south Georgia. Both games were good. We lost in the ninth inning Friday and won in the ninth on Saturday.

The most memorable part of the two games was batting practice. I am a life long batting practice attendee. To this day, I bring a glove and long for a ball like I am 8 years old. In my career, I have officially grabbed 1 ball. I was in high school and I caught a ball hit by Joe Carter. But that has been it.

This past weekend, we had a batting practice for he ages. Between the four of us (Caleb, his two buddies and myself), we got five BP balls. That's right, Five!

I started things off by catching one. Then five minutes later, Caleb picks one up off the ground after it bounces off of a couple of folks. Three minutes later, Riley makes a mid-air grab from a ricochet off of two guys.

Saturday: We had just walked in the stadium, and the Phillies were on the field, but had not started hitting. I look up and see Pedro Feliz take his first swing. Before I can get my glove out of my back, his second shot is a laser just in front of us and to the left. Caleb goes down three steps, crosses over the rail and jumps in between three people (who were not even watching) to make a spectacular grab. It was one of the best catches I have ever seen in batting practice.

Five minutes later, he was outdone by Riley, who ran 25 feet to his left and spun as he jumped to correct his course. He made the grab over his shoulder, in a manner that would make Wilie Mays proud.

The only one to not make a grab was Zack, who did a tremendous job of looking like a champ in the outfield with a catchers mitt.

Both games were fun. BP was a blast!