Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You haven't earned anything!

You ever get to the point where you think you are owed something? Like you've earned the right to behave a certain way?

Whether you realize it or not, it happens all the time. I am finding this to be so true in my everyday life. I feel like I have the right to yell at the guy who pulled out in front of me. I feel like things haven't been going my way, so I deserve to chance to make myself feel better. The list can go on and on.

It is these things where most of our struggles with the flesh take place. God calls us to deny ourselves, our selfish nature and do what pleases Him instead of what pleases me.

It is humbling to notice how little you see this in our culture. Just today, a guy at my work, lost his cool and completely went off on a co-worker. If you asked him, he probably has a laundry list of reasons that justified his action. Position, power, provocation are not acceptable answers when we have to explain to God why we behaved a particular way. After all, Jesus said he came to serve instead of be served. What a challenge for us to do the same.

I challenge you the next time you feel like you have the right to behave incorrectly...serve that person. It may not instantly gratify your desire for revenge, but in the end you please God and become more like Him...And that's totally worth it.